Monday, October 17, 2011

Alien Model Update + Music

MODELING

I was able to accomplish a lot this week. I began work on my alien head and am going to use a ferret body I found on Turbosquid as his body. I should be able to finish that up this week and then get started on my spaceship model. By the start of next week, I'll send off my model to Sean Manning so that he can begin rigging. Here are some pictures:





In terms of my rigging, it's going much faster than I anticipated. Lisa Anderson said that she'll be able to complete everything by November, right on schedule, and I can then begin animating from there.

MUSIC

I'm also very excited for my music! I'm basically going for more of a orchestral, slow-moving style with bits and pieces of percussion intertwined. I've also looked into 3 composers I am interested in, some part of SMPTV and one who graduated from USC last year. I've already emailed them and I should make my selection sometime soon.

So in terms of the musical style, I'm thinking of a mix between two of my favorite composers, Thomas Newman and John Powell. Newman composed a number of major films including my favorite, WALL-E. Here is musical selection from the movie I'm going for:


John Powell scored the amazing soundtrack for the film, How to Train Your Dragon. I really can relate this movie to my own because Toothless, the dragon, resembles my own small alien creature in a way. Also, the music in this film is phenomenal. It perfectly matches and enhances the overall visuals, which something that I want the music to do for my own.

This powerful scene really echos standoff between my astronaut and alien:


The music in this scene would go well with the bonding between the two:


And of course, the lovely 'Forbidden Friendship' scene would really relate:

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad someone (was it Careen?) suggested the ferret model- I think it will work much better! I am also glad that you are putting so much thought into your music at this stage. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool beans! I like the model progress for your alien. He should be a lot of fun to animate.
    Great reference for music too, I love both of those films! That's cool you already have an idea of what music you're looking for for each scene

    ReplyDelete